Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Bowling for sound objects . . .

The School of Music and Sonic Arts went bowling last night. My game is not what it used to be. Oh well . . . quite a session of drinking ensued after that. My colleague/best mate, Rachel Holstead, returned from a six week stint at the McDowell Colony where she did the artist retreat thing. Angela and I hope to catch up with Rachel and Jason D. this weekend for some dinner at Macau.

Speaking of Jason Dixon (see photo), the dude is playing the Menagerie tonight, a laptop gig with SuperCollider. He's supporting Clip AV, who will be doing a gig and workshop here as part of the lunchtime series.

As for me, I did a wee bit of work on the old piece yesterday. It just got worse, so perhaps it's time to clean it up and put it away? There are other eggs to boil . . . this is a lesson.

I am beginning to realize the complexities of working in eight channels. The difficulty is that is becomes very easy to swamp the entire space with sound. I don't think the audio cortex can process all that sound-data. So, some parts get really washed out. I'm not so sure the sitting in one place, as an audience does, works with surround sound. One must move their head. This is why we hear in 3-D anyway, due to out tendency to point our head toward the sounding object. Oh, it's a silly business and I'm blabbing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home