Friday, April 14, 2006

Camargo . . .

I was walking around yesterday getting a few things together for dinner when I received a phone call from the Camargo Foundation in St Louis. It appears I am being awarded a Camargo Fellowship. I am dumbstruck. It is so unexpected.

Angela and I will be heading off to Cassis, France beginning in September and returning in mid-December. During this time I will be focusing on a large-scale performance work utilizing many of the tools and skills I have been working on here at STEIM. It is going to be a wonderful, creative summer. The first photo here is La Leque which was built by Jerome Hill in the 1960's. It currently serves as the composer's studio and residence. It was Hill who established the Camargo Foundation in 1967 to assist both academic research in the humanities and social sciences and artistic projects by painters, composers, film-makers and writers. Hill was an amazing character who, unfortunately, I know little about. I look forward to discovering more of this interesting man. The second photo is an interior shot of the studio. There is no guarantee that I will be working in this studio, but it looks so beautiful! Again, this is so unexpected.

It's a very warm Spring day today in Amsterdam. How could I possibly go into the studio? I hope it rains so I can get some work done. STEIM is really a fantastic place.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic. Remember that when you get there, look for us a nice apartment overlooking the water/beach. Make sure that you have a bottle of CASSIS and ice when we arrive.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home