Thursday, April 13, 2006

Day 3 and 4 . . .

We finished up our introduction to LISA (LIve SAmpling) and junXion which routes MIDI information from USB devices. junXion works quite well, it is very flexible and LISA has some nice features too . . . though it's a bit buggy still and not so intuitive. I believe they are working on an update soon . . . the trick is to improve the functionality without losing the flexibility of the program. Perhaps they need an HCI person (Brock?)

On the hardware side, the Junxtion Box (photo right) is quite interesting. It provides connections for 8 continuous controllers (at 0-5 volts) and another 8 connections for analogue switches. The output for the board is Human Interface Device (HID) via USB. The boards are currently in BETA and I am seriously considering becoming a B-Tester for the program so I can play with the board and make some instruments. After the first few days, I really don't see how I could perform without an interface of some type. You have to have sensors to perform a computer. The keyboard/mouse paradigm is just too limiting. Even a mini-wacom tablet would be beneficial, possibly mounted to the right of the track pad on the laptop. So, my thoughts are, 'How to get this thing to be wireless so I can make some wearables?'

The most fun, however, has come from the accelerometers (or, tilt sensors). I was suprised by their ability to actually be quite 'playable'. On option, which is easy and effective, is the Gravis Destroyer TILT gamepad, which unfortunately they don't make anymore. In fact, there was a plethora of 'tilt sensitive' game controllers on the market about three years ago. Now, they are unfortunately all out of production. I am looking for any that might be around. Macally makes a similar model, there seem to be more of those around. So, I will try to buy a few of those first. Another option is the use of an accelerometer chip connected to the junXion box. Unfortunately, though the technology is the same, the chip option is expensive and requires some electronic gimickry. But, the junXion Box is going to require soldering anyway, so hey, why not?

So, that's it for this morning. Have been using Skype to stay in touch with Angela on the other side of the North Sea. I actually works quite well. Now, how about making it a performance device as well? The mini-residency is about to come to an end and I will have to return to Belfast to make my last stand at the PhD table. Then off to who knows where? Well, there will be a few gigs along the way. As soon as I finish this PhD I can get back to STEIM and work on the next portion of this wonderful journey. Hmmm . . . I leave you with a picture of me this morning . . .

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home