Friday, September 08, 2006

Update . . .

I thought for some of you reading an update would be appreciated. It's been a long three weeks. If you aren't aware, Angela and I had our Barcelona apartment broken into about three weeks ago. They took the computers and the cell phones -- these people are jerks. For me, losing the computer was not only losing a machine but data and my instrument as well. Though we've ordered replacements, the backlog at Apple will ensure that I recieve the new machine sometime in October. It's a problem . . . I can't work. I could go into the long list of how this simple theft has impacted and probably changed the course of the rest of the year for me, but I don't want to winge and whine about such stuff . . . let's just say that things are moderately fucked.

On another note, after the theft we immediately left Barcelona and ended up in Belfast again. It was wonderful to see familiar faces and places again. Thanks to the friends who offered to put us up, had us over for dinner and stored stuff for us, etc. . . . we are in your debt. Luckily I was able to print and bind my dissertation (the corrected copy sent to my examiner just days before the theft) and place it in the library, etc. So, it's all in . . . the PhD is over, call me Doctor.

Now, Angela and I are at the Camargo Foundation in Cassis, France (just southeast of Marseilles). It's beautiful here . . . I am looking forward to working when, and if, my computer ever arrives. I feel like I am just sitting around doing nothing . . . which is somewhat the case. For now, I have become a theoretical composer . . . . it's rather awful . . . Apple estimates they will get the machines to us by October . . . so we wait.

I am sure things will look up . . . I might be able to get a loaner in the meantime . . . we shall see.

I'll keep you updated.

jason

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't you borrow or rent one?

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys, hope the french are treating you better than the catalans.
T

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

update update.... need input

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home