Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The write stuff . . .

I would like to share a brief observation that drives my teaching methodology at the tertiary level. The mantra goes like this: If you write it three times, you will probably retain it. When I teach I use a white board. (I have eschewed the PowerPoint-in-the-classroom paradigm, realizing that PowerPoint is for presentations -- to be observed and not absorbed.)

With dry-erase marker in hand, I write out an outline of every lecture on the board prior to beginning. I encourage my students to copy this down in their notes as I put it up. (Note: First writing.) Next, as I present each point (the narrative) of the lecture, I write key phrases, definitions, and illustrations on the board. I encourage my students to write along with me. (Second writing.) Finally, students are encouraged to recopy their notes into a complete form. (Third writing.)

In my classroom, all exams take the written form: essay, short answer, and the so-called 'fill-in-the-blank.' (Fourth writing?)

Students who write retain.

2 Comments:

Blogger mutantsounds said...

Fear helps too. Make it clear that there will be a terrorist fist jab for anybody not paying attention...

12:13 PM  
Blogger geistweidt said...

Ah yes, the terrorist fisting!

jg

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home