Monday, June 16, 2008

Don't fear the dead cat . . .

Well, since we are getting into production with the Sound for Interaction kids (ahem . . . students), I though I might as well start a little project aimed at reducing the wind noise in my field recordings. So, I made what they call in the business a dead cat, le chat mort?

The basic install is a foam cone over the microphone, creating an air pocket around the XY-configured condenser microphones. This pocket shields the microphones from unwanted fluctuations in air pressure and the faux long-hair fur (this style, your Grizzly Black) channels the air around the cone, thus attenuating the sound of the air grazing the outside of the cone.

Voila, dead cat to reduce wind noise for your Zoom H4! It actually works pretty well. I think it looks a bit like Ernie, or maybe it's Bert?

I have enough material left over to make a toupee as well.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tote Katze!

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ich bin Dieter...Lieb meine Affen!

10:16 PM  
Blogger geistweidt said...

Tanzen! Tanzen!

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He will be lonely without his partner :-(

8:00 PM  
Blogger geistweidt said...

Uh . . . yeah.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I intend to do such a dead cat for my H4N

Would you describe what material you used, exactly so that we can know where to buy it?
ANd second: you put the dead cat over the bundled windshield, right?

Anyway, thx for sharing/

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fantastic! and I love the genelecs you have btw.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home