Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Let's get physical . . .

This is a programming kind of time for me. I am using Cyrille Henry's PMPD (Physical Modeling for Pure Data) and its Max/MSP incarnation developed by Mathieu Chemagne (known as mc.pmpd) to develop more natural sounding gestures and behaviors for acousmatic improvisation. It's working out pretty well and I will post some experiments to this blog when I figure out how all that control information will influence the sound of the improvisational 'world' I am developing. It is basically the following formula: [field recordings (edited)] * [sample playback processes] * [physical models(constraints)]. Somehow, that makes an hour of music.

jg

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds interesting... but what happened to SuperCollider?!

oh the turf wars...

12:44 PM  
Blogger geistweidt said...

Well, actually there is a Supercollider version of PMPD, but sometimes you have to go with what you know. I love new tools, don't get me wrong. I will return to them when the time is right. But, now I need to prototype . . . you know? And, I also need to get some creative work out the door.

How's UEA?

7:38 PM  
Blogger mutantsounds said...

UEA's fine, but that ain't me up there!

Now get back to your SuperCollider homework or there will be no supper for you, my boy...

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home